The Clover, Use Resources Wisely Daisy petal is the green petal usually at the 8:00 position on Daisy flower.
For the badges released in 2011, scouts must complete all of the activities listed to earn the badge.
Please add ideas to customize the activities and other useful resources below.
Activity #1: Enjoy the Story and Talk about ItEdit
Activity #2: Make a Collage Using Recycled MaterialsEdit
Activity #3: Practice Being ResourcefulEdit
Make an I-Spy inspired toy using an empty water bottle, colored rice, and around 25 small items from around the house.
1. Wash one empty water bottle for each girl and allow to dry overnight.
2. Color white rice using hand sanitizer and food coloring. (Make many different colors and shades. You're going to be adding small items to the colored rice. The goal is to make the items difficult to find once they are mixed in with the rice so the more colors the better.) Spread the colored rice out onto wax paper and allow to dry overnight.
3. Collect small items from around the house. Suggestions include, but are not limited to, different denominations of coins, paperclips, safety pins, shells, different colored buttons, different colored beads, stones, tiny light bulbs, pins, small Legos, hair pins, gemstones, screws, nuts, bolts, broken crayon pieces, and marbles. Make sure you collect one of each of the items for each girl i.e. if you have five girls, you should have five marbles, five hairpins, etc.
4. Lay one of each of the items out on a flat surface and photograph them as a group. Print the photograph out in color. Laminate the photograph. This is your sheet that shows everything that will be in the bottle.
5. Have each girl add colored rice to her bottle along with one each of the items you collected leaving about an inch at the top of the bottle open so that the rice and items have room to move around. When finished, hot glue the cap on and shake thoroughly.
6. Punch a hole in the sheet that shows all the items that are in the bottle and use this hole to attach the sheet to your bottle with a small rubberband.
You've just made a fun toy out of a recycled water bottle, rice, and miscellaneous small items from around the house. The girls can compete by calling out the name of one item then shaking and turning the bottle until one of them finds the item. They may also use the toy alone with each girl deciding on a item to find and then looking for it.
- Field trip idea. Our troop took a field trip to the local recycling center.
- How Long Until It's Gone poster from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).